Pages

Sunday, September 16, 2012

Triathlons: Barefoot Running


01-10_unsaferange_r3_pronation
On the search for my mojo, I had been looking to a lot of sources. And one in particular was an unlikely source: Christopher McDougall’s “Born to Run”.
And it got me thinking more about barefoot running.
So I tried it.
At the gym, I normally get on the treadmill for half an hour before my routine. So I kicked off my shoes and hit the “Quick Start” button.
Five minutes in, I had to put my shoes back on. Two points on the soles of my feet started burning. If I had continued, I wouldn’t have been able to walk for the rest of the week.
But I felt the difference.
I’m what they call an “overpronator”. If you look at the soles of your shoes and the heels are worn out in a slant from the outside in, you overpronate. I have wide feet which makes it a natural symptom.
Or is it?
When I got on the treadmill barefoot, however, my feet started reacting differently. The heels made sure never to touch the band surface, leaving me to run on the front part of my foot.
My heels never touched the band. So how can I be an overpronator if naturally and without shoes, the back part of my foot never hits the floor?
I finished the rest of my routine with the soles of my feet burning but it made me think of how much I have to take modern-day marketing with a grain of salt.

No comments: